Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Rewriting

It is busier at the store than it has any right to be in February. It is eating into my writing timee, by golly. My guys are starting to go crazy with it again, being as this is supposed to be the slow time of year. We nailed two jobs today and got requests for three more quotes, two of them large jobs. I feel like I'm spending a lot of time on cutomers these days. Yes, I know. That's what they pay me the big bucks for. But they hate feeling this behind, too.

In the four years I've been writing at work I've gotten pretty good at coming back and picking up right where I left off five minutes or twenty minutes before. There comes a time when my concentration is shot though. I'm not sure what exactly it takes, but a certain number of phone calls and/or customers in a shortish period of time and I'm done for. Usually I can switch to something a bit less demanding.

My primary goal these days is to progress on the revision of False Perceptions. The first chapter needed finetuning. The second chapter needed total rewriting and is *done*. The third chapter didn't exist in any form before this. I managed the first scene of it today before my concentration blew, but the second scene eluded me. I know what it needs to portray, but not what it IS. It's starting to come, I think, but of course I've got a sales rep again in the morning. The third scene planned for this inserted chapter is fairly close to together in my head. I'm looking forward to getting to chapters that *only* require revisions!

Meanwhile, the 2yn assignment this week is the first of the character building ones. I haven't written any of it down yet, but I'm starting to see it. So that's good. I also have classes to write and a crit to do and and and...

Maybe I'd better go do some of it instead of whining.

1 comment:

Maripat said...

I haven't done my first glimpse either. I'm leery of tyring to type up the assignment instead of writing it. Wierd compulsions I have.