Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Violet Dawn

Remember last week how excited I was cause I got a whole box of books to review and not one of them was suspense? I spoke too soon. The very next day Violet Dawn arrived. This is the second book by Brandilyn Collins that has come my way.

With fear and trepidation (okay, I'm exaggerating--but not much) I opened the novel yesterday evening and read the first few chapters. The question is: what would YOU do if you couldn't sleep at two in the morning and decided to relax in your hot tub...and discovered a dead body in it? And if, for some reason (which I'm sure I'll eventually figure out) you don't want to call the police, don't want your picture on the news? What would you do? Well, I can tell you what Paige would do but it would be more fun if you read the book yourself!

For the record, Brandilyn has written something like eleven novels with the trademark Seatbelt Suspense. Read her books, but don't forget to breathe. In her publishing journey, she's learned a few tricks of the trade as far as web promotion goes. (I mean, look at me promoting her books, and they're not even my favorite genre!) Later this week I want to have a closer look at her promotion because I think there's a lot we can all learn from it. For now, though--if you're curious--head over to Scenes and Beans, the virtual blog for the fictional characters from this series of novels about the small town of Kanner Lake, Idaho.

3 comments:

~ Brandilyn Collins said...

Valerie, thank you so much for your kind words--even if you don't usually read suspense! (Perhaps you'd like to run for office for the BHCC--the Big Honkin' Chickens' Club, whose members are too scared to read my novels.)

I will link to your post on my own blog, Forensics and Faith, tomorrow.

Blessings,

~ Brandilyn

Jean said...

With as seldom as we use our hot tub, I dread the through of opening the cover to warm it up for use and finding a body in it. With my luck, it would be horribly decayed, and I'd just have to junk the whole hot tub.

(Notice I'm expressing no concern at all that some poor person has lost their life -- only that my hot tub is ruined. Yes, I must be warped.)

Since I like suspense, I'll have to give this one a look. Thanks, Val.

Valerie Comer said...

Er, yes, Jean. Warped it is. :P Does it help you to know that the body was less than 24 hours old? Well, the deadness part of the body. The person was older. Is this making sense????