Friday, April 22, 2005

well, THAT was optimistic

Okay, so I'm not really rolling again yet. I tried to convince myself that adding the Pidaal character and beefing the subplot here would not change the story intrinsically, but it's not working. Really I was trying to avoid re-outlining. I write much better with a road map, and I haven't been able to convince myself that this little detour is still in sight of the main road. Pidaal needs to be more important than that. So today he got a character sketch and a background while I tried to see which direction the story is taking from here. I know where it's going, just not how it's getting there. Though by the end of the writing day, I at least have more clues than at the beginning. Apparently this stage can't be rushed. I'm ahead of my projected wordcount pace, and I'm not under contract, so I can afford the time to do this right. Honestly? I'd rather be writing. But being as I prefer writing to REwriting, I'm taking the necessary time. I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to work on things over the weekend because we FINALLY have a warm sunny weekend forecasted, and there's a zillion outside things that need doing on the farm. So, we'll see. It can percolate around at the back of the brain, at least.

1 comment:

Maripat said...

Ehh--I know how those detours go. Sometimes they take you to some very interesting places.

Good luck!