Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Can I keep this up one more day?

I never thought that *Marks of Repentance* (aka: Shann) would get this kind of a kick start in its first week. Things just clicked today, and I wound up with a total of nearly 4K, bringing the total to date to a spit shy of 18K. I might as well go for the 21K pip at Forward Motion after all, don't you think? I just need a tad over 3K tomorrow, so if the customers and the characters all are agreeable, it should be a possibility.

The characters took the bit a few times today, but I managed to keep them turned in at least the general direction of the outline. I have to admit that it caught me off guard when Taafa and her cousin Nadiia had a shouting match in the courtyard, though. Poor Shann; I think it embarrassed him. I totally did not see this fight coming; I'd thought the cousins got along really well. Maybe they do. Even in the best of relationships there are squabbles at times. By both word count and scene count, I'm about a sixth of the way into the story. That does NOT mean I'll be done first draft in another five weeks, though. To say that continuing the pace would give me a major headache would be an understatement. I would like to know how the Sheila's and the Zette's of this world do those kind of numbers day after day, month after month, year after year. (Though I understand that Zette has had to slow down a bit in the past couple months).

Is there life outside writing? Barely, this week, although we did have worship team practice tonight, and tomorrow evening is the interdenominational worship service at the rec center. But mostly it's just write write answer-the-phone write.

No comments: