Monday, July 18, 2005

Titles are hard to come up with

Titles are hard to come up with for NOVELS for crying out loud. Who can name a blog post more days than not? (Eyeing my recent history, okay, I'm a bit less often than that...)

Does it mean I don't have anything important to say? Most likely. But lest everyone keep worrying about me after my last post, I should say that life is resting in some sort of perspective again, as far as Jim's absences go. He left again last night. We off-loaded the camper this weekend as he has found a place to live up there. A guy from here that he kind of knows (friend of a friend of a friend kind of relationship) got hired at the same time Jim did. The main problem is that they work the same shift, and both were hoping to find roommates on opposing shifts, so that while one guy is at the apartment, the other guy is at home (or at work). It's not uncommon for four guys on different shifts to share a two bedroom apartment in that way. There is a third guy of currently undetermined shift who is thinking of joining them. In one way, Jim's costs go up with the apartment, but fuel will be less without the camper on, and he'll be more comfortable. He'll also have access to a bit more fridge and freezer space, making meal planning easier to do from here. Not to mention that the camper isn't feasible for over the winter months. They get a serious winter over there.

Meanwhile he got part of our north field cut while he was home. The weather appears to be holding. Sort of. The truck repair is not the final one. Although it is running better, and starting a higher percentage of times, it is not actually fixed. We're starting to get concerned about the magnitude of the problem and may wind up taking it into the GM dealership for diagnostics. We can't afford to replace the vehicle just now. I mean, *I'm* driving our old truck, a 1975 Chevy with a 454 in it. The 1993 model that Jim is driving is like brand new for us. When we can we'll pick up a car that is both economical AND cheap for Jim to commute with, and I'll get the good truck again. The good truck that isn't the good truck. You get the picture. Anyway, I'm a farm girl, I have to drive a truck. Too many bulky things are needed, even when our water situation is under control, which, most thankfully, it is right now.

My reading binge continues. I'm part way through two more books at the moment. One is Riddle Master Trilogy by Patricia McKillip, that my daughter was sure I would like. So far it's been kind of amusing, but it doesn't have me by the throat either. The second current read is If Angels Burn by Lynn Viehl (otherwise known as Sheila Viehl, or SL Viehl). This book pulls me out of my comfort zone by a considerable distance (paranormal, or vampire romance is not my big thing, go figure). It's also NOT the book I'm reading just before bedtime, for some odd reason. I'll post links to these books in the sidebar when I get the chance.

Meanwhile, I'm doing better with Mar's crit than with my read-through. I just need to make myself do it, I guess. Anyone got some enthusiasm for sale, cheap? Maybe I can get a bulk supply...

4 comments:

Jean said...

Rummaging through a few boxes....there it is! Here's some old enthusiasm. I think it will clean up just fine. There's a little tear in the corner, but you're pretty handy, and I'll bet you could mend it in no time. Try it on for size. If it works, please keep it. If not, send it back--no sense cluttering your place up with stuff you can't use. :)

Maripat said...

Heh-I'll sell you a crateful real cheap.

Valerie Comer said...

Funny, Maripat. Why would I *pay* for it if Jean is sending me some for free? Though it's possible I may need more, because unlike bunnies, I don't think it multiplies when you turn your back on it...

Jean said...

Yeah, I think it's one of those things you don't want to turn your back on. It gets discouraged and fizzles. But, I've noticed it's rechargable.