Wednesday, May 16, 2007

a spark

Once upon a time a long time ago now, my friend Random Walk Writer was copyediting a travel guide to Ireland and passed along some links from it that amused her about the Lisdoonvarna Matchmaking Festival. Something began playing at the back of my mind, but only a few random ideas emerged, then refused to play nicely together. Then they went away and wouldn't play at all. Which was okay.

Today, however, I was pestering Maripat about her character Mia. I teased her that I could see Mia running past in slow motion. Then I said, 'wait, that isn't Mia.' She wondered if it was Taifa (from Marks), but it definitely didn't look like her. Or anyone else currently on my roster of stories.

Her hair was long and blond and sort of curly and quite messy, like she'd been running for awhile. In the few seconds I saw her, she glanced back over her shoulder and stumbled. Her skirt was tiered and flowing, and I think she had on a peasant-style blouse with the top tie undone. The only color in the image was green. Kind of a green misty background (out of focus trees?), and greenish clothes, but I'm wondering if it was more a colored filter than actual color.

I began to wonder if she was the girl from Matchmaker, whose name I suddenly realized was Kaesa. And now I'm back to wandering the web looking for cool sites on matchmaking traditions. And maybe I should watch Fiddler on the Roof.

Here's the Wikipedia link about Lisdoonvarna. Here is a little info about the history. There's apparently a movie about this tradition: Lisdoonvarna: Lourdes of Love. Anyone seen it?

And hey, the official matchmaker has his very own website!

I do hope Kaesa wants to make some plans now. I need a light at the end of the tunnel. Something jitteringly ready to write when this round of Marks is done.

3 comments:

chrisd said...

Oh--it was YOU who inspired me to write 100 words. I wrote 157 last night! Woo-hoo!

Where are you submitting yours again?

Valerie Comer said...

I'm glad I inspired you, though I'm not sure how! I entered Marks' first 25 pages in the Genesis contest at ACFW.

chrisd said...

How exciting, Val! Good for you!