Friday, March 17, 2006

FP revision clears 60K!

Yes, that's worthy of a headline. I've revised six chapters this week, each with two to five scenes. A few of those scenes got by with minor grammatical upgrades (beware the lowly comma!) but most of them got more. A couple received high end treatment including massive amounts of the original material hitting the recycle bin. And now I'm finding things AGAIN that should have been worked in earlier in the story. The villain's son plays an important role in the early chapters and in the later ones. Where is he now? He's certainly not off on a business trip. He needs to be doing what he does best, prodding his father, even though in a more limited way so as not to steal the spotlight. To be honest, changes thus far have been significant enough that I'll need a read-through at the very least before this story goes off to readers again, and hopefully I can plug in some of those bits on that quickie pass. In case you're one of my readers waiting patiently for the book, my current goal is for it to be out of my hands and into yours by the end of April.

Regarding the difficulties with viewing this blog in Mozilla Firefox, my tech team hasn't had time this week to analyze the problem. The half of my tech team that had surgery this week has no idea what's wrong, and the half that is packing for a state-to-state move isn't sure either. I don't really want to go back to blogger pink...

5 comments:

Jean said...

Yay for the revision progress!!

Try this for your template.

Where the text says this:

body {
width: 100%;
margin: 20px auto;
font-family: lucida grande, verdana, arial, sans-serif;
text-align: center;
background: #d5dcee;
color: ;
}

See where it says "width: 100%"?

Try making that 80%

Your sidebar is set for 20%. With the body set for 100%, it has to jump to the bottom to get full screen width.

Valerie Comer said...

Thanks, Jean. I tried that just now but as you can see, it still wants to go below the sidebar. I mucked with several other settings as well but nothing seemed to cure it. It seems like there is something in that code that makes it go below rather than beside? And yet it works in Internet Explore. Grr.

Jean said...

Hmmm. I see. Maybe the #container section. I see a 100% there, too, but if the container is what everything fits inside (which it sounds like, but I'm not sure), that would be the appropriate entry. You could try it, but I'm not so sure it would help.

I don't see anything obvious other than those things. Sorry.

Jean said...

Now I think I remember...I had this problem when I revised templates sometimes. It has something to do with the framing lines. I don't remember if or how I fixed it.

EJ said...

Hey, Val, have a look here. Gem redesigned my blog and was kind enough to let me copy the template for dragonsroost. She's very good.

http://gemmakdesigns.blogspot.com/2006/03/five-dollar-fix.html