Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Wild Pacific Trail

  Posted by Picasa

On Friday afternoon we hiked the Wild Pacific Trail around the headlands of the village of Ucluelet. I let Joel have the camera for most of this hike (2.5 km) as Jim and I had been there a couple years ago and taken lots of photos, so this batch are all taken by our son. Here's the lighthouse at the furthest reach.

  Posted by Picasa


The benefit of having your kid with the camera is that someone can prove that both parents were on the trip!

  Posted by Picasa

This photo is one of my favorites of the ones Joel took. Very artistic, I'm thinking! Maybe my kids and I share an *eye* for laying out this type of photo.

  Posted by Picasa


Like I said, having Joel with the camera allowed Jim's and my trip to be better documented. The trail has a lot of little viewpoint places with benches to sit and enjoy the view. Where the trail starts is on the west side of Vancouver Island, with mostly wide open ocean. You follow the trail south to the lighthouse, then around the headland on the harbor side, and back to the parking lot. This viewpoint appears to look out over a nearby island.

  Posted by Picasa

The trees on the west side have some serious wind issues to deal with! We'd taken a photo of this same tree a couple years ago, and it stood straighter then. AND it had more greenery. It's a hard life being pounded with wind and saltwater all your existence. Or so the trees tell me.

1 comment:

Jean said...

aaaahhhhhhh!